Wednesday 9 May 2012


PLACES I BIN... 3

Picasso & Modern British Art

09/04/12


A fine selection of artworks by The Master given context by being hung alongside contemporary images he exhibited next to. 

Not a huge amount of Picasso that I hadn't seen previously, but it is always a treat to revisit his paintings and also to be reminded of other favourites I hadn't looked at for some time - Ben Nicholson, Graham Sutherland and Ian Gibson... I mean Wyndham Lewis!



Seriously. Why had I never noticed to similarities in drawing style between IG and WL?

______________________________

It was a rare and pleasant surprise to see how well reproduced the catalogue is after many years decrying Tate's output. The number of times I have been blown away by an exhibitions at Tate Modern and skipped giddily into the gift shop only to recoils at the catalogue I had hoped to treasure must run into double figures by now, but this one is beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment